Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Library closings

At the MLA Annual Meeting last May, Pat Thibodeau announced that the association would address the problem of library closings. I have forwarded to MLA leadership the list of library closings of which I was already aware. I had a total of 54 institutions, and I know there are many more. Most of this knowledge came from librarians who responded to an e-mail I sent to MEDLIB-L in October 2002, asking for names of closed libraries. Others came from Lynn Fortney (Ebsco) and Mark Goldstein (New England Region RML). Thanks to all who helped with this information gathering. Please continue to alert us to library closings, whether only threatened or already a done deal.
 
The medical societies in two states are now considering adoption of the “Standards for Hospital Libraries 2002.” MLA has sent a letter to one of those medical societies, at the request of the librarian who is coordinating efforts in that state. A group of librarians in New England is working towards adoption of the standards there. If either of those states do adopt the standards, others are more likely to consider doing the same. I encourage you—plead with you—to do whatever you can in your own area. It isn’t an easy or quick task, but we are willing to help in whatever way we can.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home